11 May 2008

Mother's Day 2008

There are a lot of things that come to mind as I reflect on what it means to be a mother on Mother's Day 2008. First and foremost, Happy Mother's Day to my own Mom! I am lucky to have such a fabulous Mom and hope I can live up to her example. It makes me a little sad to think about all the things she didn't get to experience with her Mom because of losing her early to cancer, and all the more grateful that I have my Mom to help me, teach me and mother me! Plus, I know two little boys who adore their Grammy BeBe!

And also a very Happy Mother's Day to my mother-in-law Rosaura. Thank you for the beautiful pink flowers that are gracing my breakfast table, but more than that, thank you for raising such a wonderful son and father for my children. I hope you have a restful and enjoyable day.

Happy Mother's Day to all my mommy friends- near, far and internet! I am lucky to have such a circle of dedicated, loving moms- all trying to figure out how to be the best parents they can be and help each other through the same struggles. May you enjoy your days with your families.

Most of the time I still feel surprised that I'm a mom to two little boys. I still feel like that college girl or maybe a newlywed bride or maybe a vet student. But a mom to two little boys? Am I old enough? Am I ready for that? Then Alex calls out "Hola Mommy!!" from upstairs at 7am or snuggles against me when I carry him from his car seat to his bed. And Josh beams at me first thing in the morning from his pack 'n play next to the bed or stops nursing just long enough to give me a laugh and a smile with a twinkle in his eye and I realize that I am their mommy, and I couldn't imagine anything better.

There's nothing I need or want for Mother's Day because I have it all... two awesome boys and the love and devotion of their awesome Dad! Sappy, but true.

2 comments:

LauraC said...

I am also in the sappy category. Best part of my day was two boys running up the stairs saying MOMMY! MOMMY!

Erin Burns said...

motherdom + lack of sleep + adorable children = sappy

We can't help ourselves!

Glad you had a great Mother's Day. Love the part about Josh looking up from nursing and smiling at you. I LOVE IT when Wyatt does that. Our own little flirt session.