New hi, or new lo? Good parenting, or bad parenting? I don't know. And, for what it's worth, it didn't work. But it did result in a new nickname for Josh that makes us all laugh, which is why I'm posting this story here.
Alex is not a good eater. He can eat waffles, fruit, sweets and yogurt just fine, but to finish a real lunch or dinner is very unusual. We have tried praise, bribery, ignoring it, time-outs and getting mad. We have tried eating with chopsticks just to make it more fun, eating-in, eating-out, protein shakes and letting Alex pick the meal. Last week, out of desperation and frustration in trying to get him to finish the 1/4 of a mini hamburger patty (seriously, Alex??) still on his plate, we broke out the laptop during dinner and showed him these two videos.
Not that I would actually wish for either of my children to become competitive eaters, but I thought with all the excitement, he'd finally eat the last three bites of his hamburger. Of note, Kobayashi and Joey Chestnut ate a combined 132.5 hot dogs and Kobayashi and the bear ate a combined 81 hot dogs, and Alex still didn't finish his mini hamburger.
Josh is a good eater. Always has been. We used to call him "Theodore" after the constantly-eating, chubby, Chipmunk fame. We now call him "KobayJoshi". To which he replies, "No, me _Baby_ Josh!"
3 comments:
OMG! I love KobayJoshi! HILARIOUS!
Nate is super eater, loves to eat meals. Alex would snack all day if he had the choice. It's always been this way. I'd say that Alex regularly eats 25% less than Nate, always has. Before they were one I know it was 25% less bc we tracked everything yet they are always within a few ounces of each other at each checkup.
Anyway I read these great books by Ellyn Sater that really helped us. We offer the food and if he doesn't eat it, there's not much we can do. He would live on carbs, dairy and fruit. So we just keep offering him healthy choices and accept it will most likely get pitched.
This is one case where having multiple kids helps! I think it is a nature thing!
I still like Theodore.
And this is why I love your blog: I love your writing, I love your stories, I love your family, and love your humor. It's been too long.
Post a Comment