23 October 2010

What is a Veterinarian?

For community week, they brought various people into the kids' school to talk about their jobs in the community, i.e. a fireman, a construction worker, a nurse.  I came to talk to the kids one day about being a veterinarian.  Figuring an audience of 3-4-5 year olds wasn't going to be up for listening to much, I brought with me "my duck".  My duck had eaten a few foreign objects and had been to the clinic that week for x-rays.  (Stuffed duck, that I had opened the center seam and placed some injects inside.... surprisingly the x-rays turned out pretty good for a stuffed duck!)  So I took the x-rays and let the kids guess what my duck had eaten.  They got two out of the three.  Can you tell what they were?


Then we gowned up and performed "surgery" to remove the objects.  The kids were squirmy, but I think they enjoyed it.  It's kinda like my job, except the duck probably would have had a crazy owner (really, who else "owns" ducks), been septic because they have been trying to nurse it back to health at home for 3 days before deciding to bring it to the vet, and likely would have died under general anesthesia.  I didn't tell them that part.


3 comments:

Uncle Scott said...

Hey, I had a pet duck when I was growing up. Don't you remember Bob the Duck? Does that make me crazy?

Joanna said...

I give you an A+ for curriculum and instruction!

Joanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.