17 December 2010

Gumbo apology

I decided in August that since it was not foreseeable that I would be able to go back to school and do a formal residency in veterinary emergency & critical care, I would pursue the one option that was available to do in private practice... ABVP certification in Canine & Feline Practice.  It means passing two in-depth case reports, submitting a list of my credentials and qualifications and, once that's done, qualifiying to take a two day board exam.  What does passing get me?  More letters in my title, perhaps a small raise, and mostly, the personal satisfaction of doing something challenging and motivating.  I think of it as preventative medicine for professional burn-out.  I still LOVE what I do, but it's gotten so much more routine with 8 years of experience under my belt.  So, with a 50% pass rate, I'm submitting my papers this year and I'll just see what happens. 

However, just getting these two papers written on top of work, kids, karate practice, laundry, etc. has been way more challenging than I thought.  I'm almost there, but I'm sure I'll be working furiously right up to the deadline.   I've skipped meals, given up TV, cut my sleeping hours down to a minimum, and had to pass on several social invitations.  I go into work on my days off so I can write.  The house has been a disaster except on days the cleaning lady comes, and we've eaten out a lot.  Cut out sending Christmas cards this year.  Everything that can be delayed until after the ABVP deadline has been.  Life feels pretty out of control right now.  I've failed to blog about much of anything lately, and that's why.  Come on, January 15th!

What else has been going on?

* I ran the Warrier Dash Austin with Laura and a very nice group of her internet mommy friends.  (See Laura's blog for pics and all... she sent me the disc of photos but it's still sitting unopened in my to-do after January 15th pile!)  It was awesome and I am so glad she asked me to do it!

* I met my goal of losing 10 pounds before the race.  So, I only ran three times, but I did skate lots, increase my overall exercise, cut out the majority of my snacking and made a concerted effort to pay attention to what I ate.  It worked.  I haven't developed my 6 pack abs or Linda Hamilton arms (yet!), but fitting back into all the clothes and feeling better were my top two goals and I met those.

* I realized  I haven't missed TV at all.  

* Since soccer ended, we enrolled Alex in karate.  He's been going for two weeks and so far, seems to love it.  Its an ATA school, and I'm still not sure what I think about that.  It kinda seems like a nickel and dime you sort of racket, but we'll see.  Right now we're just trying it out until spring soccer starts up.

* Two daycare Christmas programs down.  Adorable, as always.  Alex's class actually did a little dance for one of the songs, and he got paired up with the cutest girl in his class.  I think he was more than a little smitten.  Videos to be posted, after January 15th.

* One of three Christmases down.  We had Christmas with my parents early because they went to California for the holidays.  Tomorrow we get Albert's parents coming to visit for the weekend, and next week we get my sister Mackenna and her friend Alec coming from New York.   We are so excited to have them here for Christmas.  Hotel Ramirez, now open for business.  Book now for next year, there just might even be a guest room by then.   (And by the way, Mackenna landed a full-time legal job in New York.  Her persistence and guts to follow her dream no matter how hard it was paid off.  Whoo hooo!!!)

*"Santa" has big plans for our upstairs this year.  The kids have both been sleeping in Alex's room anyway, and our office is overflowing.  So Santa is bringing new beds to the boys this year, and we are moving them both into the big playroom.  That gives us back a guest room, and maybe another office to expand into.  And it gives them more space in their room.  Want a preview?

I liked these, but they were too pricey. 



But then I found these that I could afford.


And got to work making the forts myself...
"Santa" can't wait for Christmas morning at our house!!!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Good for you, Libs. I can totally relate to eating out, massive to-do-piles, and getting behind on everything in order to accomplish a big goal. I will be rooting for you!!

JTA said...

So impressed! I need some of your motivation to rub off. Best luck on the papers. I think often about going back for my masters but decided I would be a mad woman to try that now. We had so much fun seeing your Mom and Dad at Pete and Lori's party. AND, how sweet are you to remember the kids. They look so cute in their matching jammies. I was blown away that you thought of them. Thanks again! I'm adding you to my blog stalking list if you don't mind:) Hope your Christmas is wonderful!
Jeanine