Right before Christmas, we had a pie contest at work. I think there ended up being 17 entries. There weren't that many rules... just one really, it had to be pie. I had in my head that I wanted to invent pie that tasted like a Starbucks caramel macchiato, so I used a combination of recipes and it turned out delicious. If I had time, talent and forethought, I would have at least photographed it for you. Oh well, I'll have to leave that to Pioneer Woman. For the record, it tied for second in a three-way tie. For all the coffee lovers out there... enjoy!
Libby's Caramel Mocha Pie
Caramel Sauce (from Southern Living Dec 2010):
1 C. butter
2 C. granulated sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice (prevents sugar from crystallizing)
1 C. whipping cream
Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly with a long-handled wooden spoon, 8-10 minutes until mixture turns a light golden brown. Gradually add cream (stir from afar, will spatter), stirring and cooking for another 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat and cool at least 30 minutes. Will thicken as it cools. Store in airtight container in the fridge.
*Delicious and well worth the effort to make your own! Used the extra for coffee and ice cream sundaes for the next week. I will definitely make this again!
Chocolate Pie Crust:
20 oreo cookies, crushed (ziplock baggie and rolling pin work well)
2 Tbsp. melted butter
Stir together and press onto sides and bottom of a 9" glass pie plate. Bake at 325 for 15 min. Cool.
Mocha Pie Filling (more or less from Pioneer Woman: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/mocha-silk-pie/):
1 C. butter
1 1/2 C. granulated sugar
2 tsp. instant coffee granules (I used King Arthur Flour Espresso Powder)
2 tsp. Kahlua *(see note below)
3 oz. grated bittersweet chocolate
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 large eggs **(see second note below)
In small microwave safe bowl, melt 3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate until stirrable (about 45 seconds on high). Set aside to cool. In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, instant coffee powder, and Kahlua until fluffy, about 1 1/2 minutes. When melted chocolate is cooled, drizzle it into the butter/sugar mixture as it beats on medium speed; use a rubber spatula to get it all out. Add vanilla extract. Beat the mixture thoroughly until combined, scraping the sides if necessary. On medium speed, add the four eggs, one at a time, over a period of 20 minutes; leave about 5 minutes between each egg addition. Scrape sides of bowl halfway through this process. Pour filling into the pie crust. Smooth out the pie filling and place pie in the refrigerator to chill for at least two hours (preferably overnight).
*I forgot to buy Kahlua. I substituted brewed espresso with some grated bittersweet chocolate, a splash of vanilla extract and a splash of vodka stirred in. That part actually turned out delicious too (and well, I couldn't let the unused portion go to waste, now could I...?)
**Yes, this recipe contains uncooked eggs. I used fresh eggs and flash boiled them for 1 minute before cracking them. I don't know if that actually reduces the salmonella risk, but it made me feel better. I also licked the beaters when I was done and figured that since I hadn't broken with salmonella by the following morning, it was safe to serve to my coworkers. You could substitute a pasteurized egg product if you wish.
Vanilla Whipped Cream:
2 C. heavy cream
1 C. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract (to taste)
1/2 C. sour cream
Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, whip to stiff peaks. Refrigerate. Store up to one day in an airtight container.
To Assemble the Pie:
1. Spread a layer of cooled caramel sauce on the chocolate cookie crust.
2. Spoon in the mocha pie filling and level.
3. Top with another layer of cooled caramel sauce.
4. Cover with foil and place in fridge overnight.
5. When ready to serve, top with whipped cream layer and garnish with some grated bittersweet chocolate.
6. Enjoy!
1 comment:
Will definitely be making this!!
Post a Comment