23 February 2007

Love for Animals

Alex spends a lot of time around animals. What else would you expect with a veterinarian for a mom? There's Mali, our 90-pound Rhodesian ridgeback, who he tries to cuddle with first thing every morning and gradually she's starting to let him. Then there's the weekend trips to the clinic to visit Mom where he enjoys meeting all the hospitalized pets from mice to birds to cats and more. And of course the wild birds he loves to watch hop around on the neighbor's roof from the window near his high chair. But it still shocked me when he did this funny thing with his bowl. Or I guess I should say, my bowl.

My Mom gave me a pewter bowl that was mine when I was little. It has "Libby" engraved on the inside bottom which you can still read through all the scratches and there is a little sculpted pewter bunny rabbit that is perched on the rim. Well who knew that Alex knew what a bunny rabbit was, but yesterday at lunch I was talking to him and explaining that that was a bunny rabbit. He gave me this really funny look of recognition, then took the piece of cheese that he was eating and very intentionally held it up to the bunny's mouth the same way he does when he's trying to offer Mali food or a tennis ball. He did it over and over until he realized that the bunny wasn't going to take it and went back to eating it himself. I wish I could have captured it on video, but it was one of those moments that was gone in a flash. It was sweet and funny and adorable all at the same time!

No comments: