02 July 2008

First Day of School

Alex started "school" today. Actually, it's daycare, but we call it school. Alex thinks the best part is getting to wear his new backpack. His teachers said he had a lot of fun and did very well for his first day. It also happened to be the day that the petting zoo was visiting and that was a big hit! Lets hope he's as excited about day 2!

He's also been taking swim lessons this summer. There was only one swim school that I could find that would take kids under three in a non-parent participation class. Amazingly enough, they do great. They sit on their little turtle kick board until it's their turn to get in the water. As my Mom said, Mr. Chad is awesome and has the patience of a saint! Usually there's at least one crying child and often two but he's so great with them. Alex cried and clung to him with a death grip for most of the lesson for the first six weeks. I was thinking maybe that's why no one teaches under-threes and I should just skip it and try again next summer but I signed him for a second session because he did seem to be learning and he talks about Mr Chad all week long. Last week was the first week that Alex didn't cry (the one day Albert got to come see him!), and this week he was totally excited about it with no trepidation. Lucky Mr. Chad. Alex seems to like it and does seem to be learning. Cruddy picture because I took it through a damp window while holding a wiggling Josh, but you can see Alex there on the right waiting for his turn to swim.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I can't believe how much Alex looks like your side of the family. And he is so grown up in that picture!

LauraC said...

He looks like such a big boy going to school! Hope the transition goes well!

Erin Burns said...

WOW! Alex looks so big in that first picture. And such a Mini-Scott!