07 October 2008

Potty Training

I dreaded potty training.

Two kids in diapers is a lot of diapers to change, but we're on the go a lot of the time and always making sure we were going to be within toddler-walking-distance of a clean restroom just wasn't on my list of fun things to do. Plus, have you ever tried to help a toddler use a public restroom while trying to prevent both him and his 1-year old brother from touching everything in sight?? A couple of earlier attempts to potty train at home failed miserably and made my dread that much worse. We tried setting a "potty-timer" for every 15 minutes like one book said, but he was only going 1 out of 6 times, then having an accident, and it was making us both cranky. Daycare said he was going to have to start potty training to move up to the next classroom, but I didn't think he'd make it in time for his birthday. I figured I'd have time to read another potty training manual (Joanna suggested this "book" on potty training- which I only read half of but it seemed to be the best reference I came across) and try again after Alex's birthday.

So... we just waiting in limbo, and all of a sudden, he potty-trained himself. He started wearing underwear at school, and it only took a week or two before he was very reliable about it and not having any accidents. Now he wears underwear all the time except at night, and even then he's most often dry in the mornings. Whoo hoo Alex, we're so proud!! (Oh, and of course we resorted to bribery to keep him interested once he started. Stickers worked for a day or two, then we had to up the ante with skittles. Now we only need a reward a few times a week.) There's the occasional accident, or more often the I-don't-want-to-stop-what-I'm-doing-to-go-potty attitude, but overall, it's not nearly as bad as I expected. And sooooo much better than changing diapers! I don't know how long it will be until he's really ready for overnight potty training, but I'm ok with one pull-up a day.

And the best perk- little boy underwear. It's so freakin' cute. I used to dress Alex in overalls as often as I could because I thought they were the cutest thing and it wouldn't be long until he would refuse to wear them. Little did I know that you get to trade them in for little boy underwear ("calzoncillos", in our house)... not a bad trade!!

3 comments:

Erin Burns said...

When they are ready - it's usually pretty easy! So Glad it worked that way for you!!

Can't wait for the little boy underwear. I've had my fair share of folding My Little Pony, Princess, Dora....

LauraC said...

Your first paragraph explains why we were planning to wait until the boys told us they were 100% ready! I have no interest in dragging them both into public restrooms all the time but NO DIAPERS sounds like heaven to me!

Joanna said...

Not bad, Libs. And there's nothing wrong with bribery. Don't worry about that. Another milestone down!!