12 February 2009

How do you...

...not spoil your kids? That is something Albert and I have been struggling with a little bit. It was really apparent last weekend. You see, Albert and I have this understanding that we don't need to get each other presents on holidays and birthdays. But when we do find something we really want (usually a hot deal), then we indulge ourselves throughout the year.

The concept of hot deal was a little foreign to me, but I've become a convert. It's actually kind of fun to see if you can find those occasional super super deals. (Check out my sidebar for FatWallet and Target Rolling Thunder links.)

Alex just happened to hit the jackpot last weekend. First, we were at Toys R Us shopping for someone else when we happened across a clearance train set that matched the train tracks we already had a home. We weren't really looking to add to the train collection but we have very rarely come across any that even match up with the set, so we knew it wasn't something easily purchased later. Turned out to be a little more super than we thought... in fact, when assembled, pretty much takes up the entire living room rug!

Then, we went to Walmart to pick up a few things. Our local Walmart has a cool thing I've never seen in another Walmart... two isles of clearance items. Mostly junk, but it's fun to browse anyway. Well, they had these cool toddler bikes (balance bikes- no training wheels and no petals until the child gets the balance of "gliding" first) which I had seen previously and thought they were interesting but too expensive. Still kinda expensive even at at 60% off, but worth a try at least. So we came home with a bike too.

Oh, did I neglect to mention that Alex and I had spent all morning having fun- shopping, going out to eat, and stopping for his favorite treat at the mall... cotton candy?? Then we had McDonald's with Daddy. Then bought two great presents. Seriously, what a day. I said something to Alex on the way home about what a lucky boy he was, and he thought really hard for a minute before he said, "Yes, Mommy, I think I'm five now!" (As in, I had such an awesome day and got so many awesome presents that it must have been my birthday, or two!!)

1 comment:

LauraC said...

Jon and I talk about this a lot. I think the difference in providing children with a varied stimulating environment and spoiling is whether the kids grow up with a sense of entitlement. It's one thing to find a great deal and splurge on something, really making it special, and it's another thing to constantly shop and purchase more stuff that you don't need. Both the bikes and the train table sound like well-thought out purchases to me, and things that will get well-used.

My boys just recently put two and two together that we can buy things at the store. However it's only hit their minds that we can buy more FOOD. Whenever we run out of something, they tell me I need to go to the store and buy more!