11 July 2009

He can't read, but he can spell!

Alex and Josh were playing in the bathtub the other night. I was just outside the bathroom doorway folding laundry, watching them play with the floating foam letters that stick to the side of the tub.

Alex: "Mommy, mommy, come see!"

There were a long string of letters and numbers all lined up in a row.

Alex: "What does it say, Mommy?"

Me: "Well, Alex, it says: M.G.H.T.S.D.4.R.Q.W.Y.O.N...2."

Alex, excitedly: "No, but does that say?"

Me: "It's a very nice string of letters all lined up, but it doesn't spell anything."

Alex: "Silly Mommy. It says "Madagascar 2"!

Me, cracking up: "Wow, that's a very tricky word to spell. You did a good job trying. I don't think I could spell that."

Alex: "Sure you can Mommy. You just start in the middle. Then it's not tricky."

4 comments:

LauraC said...

Love it!

Joanna said...

Libby. That is brilliant, and I am not kidding. Were those the letters he used? Ironic that I am sitting in a literacy class right now...

Mack said...

more pictures please!

Erin Burns said...

So cute. Molly does the same thing all the time and I'm always like,

"Um...well, let's see...I think it spells...."

I don't want to hurt her feelings because she is so proud of herself (and SO sure she spelled something!)