12 January 2007

Cry Baby

Poor Alex! I suppose we should count it as a blessing and not a curse since he's had 15 months of great health, but Alex has his first cold! And a nasty one at that. It is so sad to watch the little guy hacking and coughing. He's also cutting his 8th tooth. He happened to have his 15-month checkup already scheduled for this week, so on top of feeling cruddy, not sleeping well and not eating well, Alex had to get his shots too. The last three days have been rough ones for him, but I think he's finally on the mend.

I was standing in the pharmacy looking at all the baby products, and all the Dr. had said was to try "Triaminic" cough syrup. Well, there's like 15 different kinds, most of them flavored liquid, and then there was one formulation that was a quick dissolving thin-strip. I went with the liquid because I thought the thin-strips were kinda gimmicky, and when you have a cough and a sore throat it feels good to have a syrup coating the back of your throat, but I'm thinking now that maybe a super genuis mom invented the thin-strips. Medicating a toddler is worse than medicating a cat! And I'm sure you've all see the gag email about medicating a cat! I'll take a cat anyday. No way, no how, is Alex going to swallow that cough syrup. No matter what you mix it in, he spits it out (and continues to spit until the taste is gone) and then we have sticky cough syrup everywhere. Note to self: next time get the thin-strips!

On a positive note, he's finally gaining some weight! 15 months puts him at 19 pounds 1 oz (5th percentile, up from 3rd) and 31 inches tall (50th percentile, up from 25th). The Dr. said he's close enough to turn his car seat around finally. Whoo hooo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky that he has not gotten sick. That's amazing, Zack was sick from 6 mo to 1 year on and off. I'm sorry he's been a sick monkey and I like the comment about him being harder to medicate then a cat. That got me laughing. Zack has been on some form of liquid meds(benadryl usually) since he was 2 months so I am lucky that he accepts medication but it is getting harder as he's on to my mommy lies of it not being so bad. Hope he gets better soon, give him a hug for us!!

Joanna said...

I hope he's feeling better. Must have been all that breastfeeding that kept him so healthy! (wink, wink!)