29 March 2007

DNA proves it (so you can stop asking)

This is something we have debated sharing, but we decided that all those inquiring minds wanted to know... so here goes...

A common comment that we get all the time from strangers and friends alike is "Are you sure Albert is really the father??" Albert said he could handle it if it just came once in a while, from a few people, but since virtually 100% of the people we know (including my own parents-thanks!) or have met on the street have said it, there was just a little seed of doubt. Not that he loved Alex any less, but just that he wanted to know for absolute sure, so for his birthday present, Albert asked for a DNA paternity test. At first I was offended at the implication, but once he explained that he was 99% sure and wanted to be 99.9% sure so that he didn't wonder everytime someone asked the question, I finally agreed. Besides, after watching too many medical shows on TLC, I was starting to think maybe Alex was a chimera or some other medical mystery. How else can you explain the fair complexion, blond hair and blue eyes? Aren't those supposed to be recessive genes??

Well folks, it's official. Albert's probability of paternity by 16-marker DNA PCR is 99.9999150%. Hope that's enough for you, because that's as close to 100% as you're going to get!

Then the question becomes, Is baby #2 going to have to be DNA tested if he/she DOESN'T look like Alex??

Albert and Papi Ramirez (Circa 1975)














Libby (Circa 1976)


Alex and Grammy B (Circa 2006)

5 comments:

Betsy said...

Looks don't count - love does. And baby Alex has had a special relationship with his daddy since the moment he was born ! I have never seen a baby focus so completely on one person as Alex does with Albert ! That's all the proof needed that those 2 guys are family ! Love to all, Grammy B

LauraC said...

Libby,
This is something I didn't think I would share either. Ann, Jon, and I have been saying since the beginning that since you are SO fair, SO blond and SO blue-eyed it's obvious why your baby would defy genetics. Even your baby's genes want to look like you and not Albert. lol.

That picture of Albert is sooo cute. That walker looks like some kind of crazy torture device or death-trap. Of course I'm sure our kids will look back and say, "I can't believe everything was made of plastic!"

Laura

LauraC said...

I just realized this is a great science lesson in how recessive genes work. Now you know Albert has Bb eyes and Bb hair... maybe you guys should have 4 kids and instead of doing DNA testing you can prove it through statistics instead.

I also think secretly you were jealous of our CSI-mouth swabbing night at Casa Case.

Joanna said...

Doubting Alex's paternity would be like doubting your character, Libs. I would NEVER do that!
:-)

Anonymous said...

I don't recall ever doubting paternity, although we sure couldn't help but comment on how Alex looks like your baby pictures. But thats just looks. You three make a great family, and becoming four will just be that much better. ------- Love, Dad