We met our one-year breastfeeding goal and now Josh is fully weaned. We did pretty well until 9 or 10 months of age when I just couldn't produce quite enough to send to daycare with him and I had to start supplementing with formula. He stopped wanting to nurse very much after his birthday, and it was just too much work to try to worry about maintaining a dwindling supply, so that's it, we're done! I have very mixed feelings about it, but I know it's the right time for us. I'm super glad to be done dragging the dreaded pump back and forth to work and having to try to make time three times a day to deal with it. I'm also glad to have my body back to myself. On the other hand, I'm sad to be done nursing my little boy. There's so little "baby" left in him! Ah, they grow up way too fast!! (And now I no longer have breastfeeding as my excuse so I have to watch my calories a little closer).

I don't know exactly how many ounces I was able to donate to the Mothers Milk Bank, but I suspect it was somewhere around 500 ounces over two pregnancies. I hope it went to good use for babies that needed it! I'm just so lucky that we had such a successful breastfeeding experience x 2 and that I have two healthy boys to show for it!!

2 comments:
I know just how you feel. I still have times when I wish I could sit and nurse Wyatt. But I'm glad I stuck it out and nursed him for a year too. It makes it a little easier whenever I miss it! Congrats! It's no small feat :)
I'm proud of you. And, I can not believe you didn't have to supplement until he was 9 mos. old! That is very impresive.
It is you who put the breastfeed-for-a-year idea in my head. I had no opinions about it before I read your blog long, long ago. Thank you for that.
Post a Comment