
My goal before Alex was born was to breastfeed for at least 1 year (Albert said it should have been 5 years, but that's easy for him to say!). One year later, I am proud to say we made it! It was worth every single inconvenience to be able to share that bond with Alex and nurture him as he grew. I anticipated feeling sad when the time came to wean him, but that wasn't the case. After his first birthday, I was ready to be done, and so was he. Being the easygoing baby that he is, Alex just went with the flow and took the bottle or sippy cup or whatever he was offered, never really seeming to want to go back to nursing. As I held him this afternoon and gave him the last of the freezer stash of my milk, I just smiled and contently remembered all the wonderful months of breastfeeding we had together, amazed at all the growth and learning he had done over the past 13 months. My little boy is growing up!
5 comments:
HOOOORAAAAYYYYYY!!!!! That is absolutely amazing and you are awesome. Perhaps some celebratory ice cream can take the place in your freezer?
Laura
I think that is a fabulous idea (hint, hint ALBERT)!
That is awesome Libby! I don't know anyone else who has had the wear-with-all to go 1 year. I did 10 months with my girls and was SO ready to be done. Congratulations! The best gift you could give him.
That's AWESOME Libby!
Congratulations!
I agree... it is definitely worth the trouble.
I nursed Alia for 18 months, and Wyatt just turned ONE a few weeks ago, and he's still nursing about twice a day.
I love your site! I had followed your pregnancy journal, but hadn't visited Alex's blog page. I found myself reading all the previous entries to "catch up" :)
Susan (Saucedo) Bailey
Would it be silly to admit that your post brought a tear to my eye?I understand just what you described and breastfeeding is a wonderful experience, isn't it? I have yet to ween, but when I do, I hope I am not as emotional as I was reading your post!
Post a Comment